To become a good estimator (what is the cost estimation engineer, valuation officer, valuation engineer, cost management engineer) need to have the capacity? Focus on what skills?
Construction cost estimates (estimates) play an important role in establishing a financial plan for a construction investment project. This plan is the basis for the management – control of all costs of the project. Although estimating does not create something tangible for the final product of a construction investment project. But it is an integral part of the overall plan to achieve the goals of the project. In order to obtain a complete and accurate estimate that meets the requirements of cost management of a construction investment project, the estimator is of paramount importance. In developed countries, estimation (cost of construction) is done by valuation engineers. The larger the technical requirements, the more complex the capacity, qualities and qualifications of the cadre. To be a good estimator, you must have the following capabilities:
1. Reading the drawing: When making a cost estimate for a project, the estimator should understand and understand the design drawing of the project. Visualization works through the construction phase. Strong knowledge of construction materials, construction procedures and procedures, and the prevailing preconceptions in the construction industry.
2. The understanding, experience and data collected, accumulated through the experience in the actual construction of related works on the type of materials needed, labor productivity of workers and productivity of machinery, equipment, general expenses and all other costs. The ability to predict costs that may arise in a construction investment project.
3. The principles of quantitative measurement should be captured. Be proficient in mastering the standard and common method of estimating, guiding documents and legal documents related to estimation.
4. Orderliness and memory. Ability to work accurately, carefully while performing calculations. Need to know how to work with databases as csv database of accounting software, Bidding
5. The ability to collect, classify and estimate relevant data in the estimation work.
6. Today, construction works are often large and complicated. Pulling along is the volume of calculation, the processing of data is very large (disassembling volume, listing the work, price, document presentation, drawing illustration, progress presentation …) all This requires processing by computer software (requires time, accuracy …). The basic knowledge of computer science and software proficiency in estimating, bidding should also be considered as a basic knowledge of the engineer estimating. It is not enough to use proficient individual programs, but to combine different programs and utilities to solve problems.
7. Alternative Finding Skills: The ability to innovate can suggest a solution that can best handle the costs of the project within the limits of the budget for the project. From the knowledge, ability and experience of the material, structure, construction technology … the estimator can propose to the investor plans to bring more benefits to the project. Project. (For example, a trained technician at the Faculty of Civil Engineering and Civil Engineering at the University has to present at least two or three plans for the construction organization to calculate and compare the feasible options. ). In the US there is a specialized field called Value Engineering.
8. Usually with a small work estimation can be assigned to a person. But for large projects, it may be because many people do the cost estimation. It is also important to be able to adapt, collaborate with colleagues in working conditions (working independently or working in teams).
9. In developed countries around the world (UK, USA, Hong Kong …) the estimate is considered a gold information warehouse. These documents are stored and retrieved for thorough reference to the following works – commonly referred to as “historical data”. By fully exploiting the information in which the estimator can propose, recommend and control work progress (including progress). Therefore, the estimator must also have knowledge of the organization of construction, scheduling progress according to the diagram (Gantt chart) or network diagram (Network diagram). By the main tempo and the corresponding time is also the money, also related to the cost.
10. Foreign language (especially foreign language specialized in economics – construction). In the times of market economy, construction investment projects may involve foreign contractors, especially in the design or supply of equipment. When the technical instructions, explanations in the drawings, the quotations of supplies, equipment, consultancy hiring contracts … are presented in foreign languages, the grasp of foreign languages is necessary to be able to Understand the scope of work when disassembling volume, listing the work list and price …
In addition to the above capacity requirements, the estimating engineer can also contribute to the finalization of a cost estimate to improve the quality of the documentation needed including:
1. The design drawings of the work, including the architectural drawings and the structural drawings, floor plans, typical cross-sections and other relevant details of the works. In order for the estimator to measure the exact volume of the drawings to be clear, complete and full of dimensions, there is a match between the actual size and the scale shown in the drawings.
2. Explanatory notes, instructions and technical requirements that accurately represent the characteristics and types of materials to be used.
Database on norms, unit prices, expenses necessary to implement different work items.
4. Relevant documents and legal documents.
The capacity of the estimator (valuation officer, valuation engineer, cost management engineer) required above are general requirements. Depending on the complexity of each project, the type and level of the works, the size of the works and the cost estimates of the designing step which require different capability conditions for the estimator. Of course, in the course of its practice, in order to survive and develop in time, the estimator must continue to cultivate and further develop the qualities as mentioned above.